Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Spring Break Trip 2015


Who was excited for Spring break this week?  I know our house was.  We just got back from our mini Spring break vacation and I thought I would share some of our pictures and stories.
 Disclaimer:  I call my Grandma, Grandma, the boys call her Nana so when telling stories about her sometimes it gets difficult, but it works

My cousin Jill is getting married!!!  She was having a Bridal shower in Russellville on the Saturday of Spring break so we decided to make a trip out of it.  We called for reservations at my Grandma's aka Nana's house, packed up the car and headed out on Spring break trip 2015!

Jill's invitation.....I showed my Grandma this and the first thing out of her mouth was...."Why didn't they capitalize anything, that's different"  I got a kick out of that.  I was excited to be able to attend the shower since I can't make the beach wedding next month, plus Another cousin of mine was a hostess.

I bought an Easter Lily for my Grandma.  I always like to bring her something when I come down for letting us stay.  She always says I don't need to do that but than she sure always enjoys whatever I bring her! haha.  This is how Mike packed the Easter Lily.  Amazingly it survived the trip and still looked great when we made it to Nana's house.

On the Way down we bought lunch at Subway.  Life of an allergy kid mom - checking the menu before we order

Italian white bread, ham and pickels, BBQ chips, and applejuice.....Alex was excited about our Allergy friendly lunch from Subway.
I love visiting my Grandma, but I'm not sure who enjoys it more...me or the BOYS!  They love their Nana.  Her toys, she spoils them rotten, and I mean spoils them in ways you don't even think of, but what they love most of all is her Birds. Her Birds?  Yes...Nana has I think 5 big bird feeders outside of her Kitchen windows.  She is the talk of neighborhood with the birds I'm sure.  She has all different kinds of birds visit her feeders during the day.  Beautiful red birds, yellow birds, sparrows, and the occasional squirrel!  Its hard to pull Alex away from the windows when we are visiting.  The best part is the eat at the table great there! haha

Nana helping the boys look for birds

My Uncle Wen walked over on Saturday and started talking about the Russellville Alligator.  Yes, the Russellville Alligator.  We thought he was kidding at first than started talking more about it and there was even a story about it in the paper!  Wen wanted to go look for the Alligator and so he took the boys.  So the boys got to go Alligator hunting.  Never thought I'd say that about our Spring break trip.  The boys didn't find the alligator but I know had fun looking.  Funny part I remember was Wen wanting to take the boys in his car....we had to remind him kids had to be in car seats now.  So Mike drove the crew :)  Wen also played football with the boys.  He played so great with them, the boys really had fun.  Even the part when Wen actually tackled them onto the grass, which Nana definatley got a kick out of.

Alex's buddy


That evening was the Hog game.  I had the hogs winning and not losing until Arizona.  Of course I would always cheer for the hogs.  That night all the cheering in the world didn't help them win but I sure enjoyed watching it with Grandma, Wen, Katy, Mike, Max, and Alex. If you've never watched a game with them or any member of the Van Es family for that matter, I encourage you to try it out. You will be on the edge of your seat the entire game, every play. Jumping up, high fives, commentarty, and excitement for sure.  I took a few pictures during the game.



My mom and dad were also in Russellville visiting friends and for the wedding shower.  On Friday they went and put new Spring flowers up on my mom's mom's grave and my aunt Margie's grave.  Don't they look beautiful? I sure miss my aunt Margie and think of her often.  I actually got to watch a home video of her this week from 1991 when she visited our house for Christmas.  I loved watching it and hearing her laugh again and remembering her love for me.

Saturday we went to the shower.  Here is a picture of some of us.  Please don't look at me - it's not a good or flattering picture, but its the only one I took so I need to share!  Jill is the one getting married - blonde in the green and ivory dress.


Sunday morning we got up, ate a big breakfast (That my Grandma always makes when we are there and you can't stop her even if you offer to take her out to eat) After breakfast we loaded up the car and headed out at 9:30.  We took Hwy 7 which was a highway I hope never to go on again, seriously.  Let's just say it was raining, had a sign that said crooked and steep next 43 miles, and Alex gave us 5 seconds notice he was car sick so I took off my seat belt, flew in the backseat to get subway bag for him to throw up in as mike slowed down and got off the road so Alex could get sick outside of the car in the pouring down rain.  BUT eventually we did make it to Silver Dollar City - woohoo!!



We forgot the stroller - so we rented one.  We had to have a stroller because Max pushed Alex off Nana's bed in Russellville and hurt Alex's foot.  He had a very bad limp.  So we got him a stroller for Silver Dollar City.  Honestly he would have needed one anyways but he sure used it more  than normal.

Kid swings - fun for alex - boring for Max

shooting game with Grandpa


watching the train
Grandpa and Mike had to wait in line a while (15 min?) for this kid rollar coaster but it was worth it.  Alex, Max, and Grandpa sure had fun




Fireman's landing, the new area, was busy, but fun. 



Alex loved this dog!

If you look closely you can see orange fish.  We had to drag Alex from this railing.

Thunderation time

Fire in the Hole!!!

carousel with Grandpa

Carousel with Grandma

Family photo with the monkeys the boys won playing a game

frogs with Grandpa

lady bugs with Grandpa - Yes - we wore Grandpa out
Silver Dollar ctiy was done!  We left to check into Big Cedar and relaxed at the condo the rest of the night.  Well some of us rested.  Todd actually took the 4 big kids by himself to play tennis and basketball at the condo indoor gym.  Kids had a blast.  Max got "hurt" twice.  Said it was fun, but rough, haha.
Alex resting his foot with Grandpa
MONDAY FUNDAY


We started the morning off with a big breakfast than got dressed for swimming!  Big Cedar has an indoor pool with a slide and a hot tub.  We were looking forward to this. 
















After swimming we rested, ate, got dressed and hit the playground.  This wasn't any playground.  This is one of the coolest playgrounds (and fanciest) that I have ever seen.  The kids LOVED it.  Perfect weather.  The weather could not have been more perfect.



They called this the spiderman swing


One way up to the playground!


Grandma and Grandpa





this tree is in the middle of the big fort


After the playground we played some miniature golf.  It was located at our condo.  You can actually see the building we stayed in behind the course in a few pictures.  We had fun.  There was a big group of us that played together.  The kids had fun.  Alex only made it 5 holes than Mike had to take him for a nap. 


























After golf, we had to rest!  We watched a little bit of a movie Joe Somebody.  Sort of good movie, Tim Allen, older movie, funny, but has some language for a PG movie. Todd and Jennie went on a date night so we got the kids ready and took them into the Branson strip.  We decided to all go Go kart racing.  We had a blast.  Grandpa loaded up a card with credits, we got all the kids measured, and we all got to race including me and Mike!  We had lots of fun.  It had been a while since we raced a go kart together.

Mary Frannie on the Classic track

Mary Frannie on the Classic track

Alex on the mini farris wheel


Max and Mabry on the Rookie track

Max and Mabry on the Rookie track

Max and Mabry on the Rookie track

Alex wasn't big enough to drive but he could ride the big track with daddy!  He was adorable - couldn't even see over the wheel had to look around it


EAch of the kids got to play a few games.

Max and Mike on the High rise

Max and Mike on the High rise


Laney on the kiddie track

Laney on the kiddie track

Laney on the kiddie track

More of Max and Mabry on the Rookie track

More of Max and Mabry on the Rookie track

Add caption

More of Max and Mabry on the Rookie track



Grandpa and Mabry on the FASTEST go kart ever.  They actually LAPPED 3 people! haha

Mike and Max I think


We were worn out but starving so we all went to steak and shake.  It was a perfect meal.  Kids had fun.  Alex had to bring his own food in but he loved his McDonald Chicken nuggets.  The waitress didn't mind she thought he was cute.
when we got back to the condo it was movie time.  We got in pajamas and watched the rest of our movie


Tuesday morning we ate breakfast and packed the cars.  We first headed to the outlet malls.  We found a few things for Easter and got some deals.  Next up we headed to Top of the Rock.  Top of the Rock is new and I read about a 2.5 mile Nature trail that you can take while riding a golf cart.  It sounded fun.  The entire family decided to do it.  The weather was beautiful and we all had such a fun time.  I can't believe how pretty it all was.  I was so impressed, and driving on a golf cart was fun!














water falls were everywhere.



Mike got some pictures on his camera we plan to print out and blow up.





beautiful view from top of golf cart.

Driving across this bridge was neat.

Entrance to the cave.





The cave was awesome - this is NOT a good picture but its the only one I got.  Mike got a few on his camera hopefully those turned out.




This was my favorite - the golf cart literally went up tot eh waterfall and the water splashed up against the cart.









The kids in the cave


















I would definately do the tour again some day.  Its not cheap - but we sure enjoyed it  - and they said they are making improvements and adding on every day.  I bet it would be breath taking on a pretty day in the fall.


Over all very fun trip.  So thankful we got to go and spend time away from home, away from routines, and with family.  Thanks for joining us Mom, Dad, Todd, Jennie, and the girls!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment