Sunday, June 2, 2013

How to make a Candy Bouquet


 
First, meet Jack.  Jack is the grandson of one of my mom's friends.  He found out recently that he has cancer.  He is 6 years old.  He recently had to go to Arkansas Children's hospital to have his port put in his chest for treatments.  On the day he returned, we had a candy bouquet waiting for him.  He loved it.  They are fun and easy to make, so I thought I would make a blog that teaches you how I make my candy bouquets so many you could make one for someone in your life that needs some cheering up or is celebrating a fun occasion.  You can do themed ones like for baby showers or welcoming a baby.  You could do get well ones with crackers, jello, chicken noodle soup, etc or fun ones filled with candy.  There are all different ways you can make a candy bouquet, these are just some ideas.
  Below is how I made Jacks.

First gather your supplies.  Below is what I used

5 skinny dowl rods
ribbon
Candy or drinks
glue gun
styrofoam



First get the base started.  Sometimes you can put stuff around the Styrofoam, or you can just get a plastic container or basket and put the Styrofoam in there and your done.  I glued gaterade and boxes of candy around the outside of my base to hide the Styrofoam.



Next, stick a dowel rod in the styrofoam.  Angel it how you want and add some candy with the hot glue gun to the stick.


Jack's favorite cookie is the oreo cookie so I took an entire package and glued it to the front of the styrofoam.


Stick more dowel rods in to make the candy bouquet more full.  Notice the dowel rods will be too long.  You will have to cut them or break them off to make them the length that you want.  You will often be able to use the one dowel rod for 2 or 3 different sticks int he bouquet. 


If you have bigger heavier items, put these on bottom.  Sometimes you can use hot glue or you might tie them on with a ribbon.

What kid doesn't like popcorn?!  I opened up some popcorn and added that to the left side of the bouquet.  I even cut up the box to use some of the packaging as decoration.






You'll start to see the bouquet getting filled up and see where you might need to add a few pieces of candy to make it look full or even.

One trick I use is to add ribbon with hot glue to the top of each stick of candy.  

You can also make dowel rods with bows at the end and stick in teh bouquet to make it more full or to add color, etc.


Often I put a little tag on front.  Either to and from or Happy Birthday, Get Well soon, etc.

sometimes you get completely done and you need to fill some spots.  Just cover with hot glue and stuff in ribbon or tulle


Here is the finished product!  I was excited for him to get it.  I love making these for different people of different ages for all different reasons.

  Here is Jack with his candy bouquet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment