Monday, July 1, 2013

Learning to swim

We went back and forth on whether or not to sign Max up for swim lessons. When sign ups came we were still trying to get settled in the new house and new city with new routines, etc etc so at the time swimming just got put on the back burner.  Well I finally decided that Max needed to take lessons because its the perfect age to learn and he's at the point where he is tall enough to stand in 3 foot pools pretty easy, so he needs to learn how to swim and become more familiar with the water. At first I thought I could just teach him, but I'm so glad he is learning from someone else with other kids his age around, I think that really helps.  He's quite the chatterbug on the steps while he waits his turn, we know he is enjoying them.

Well I started trying to find a good 2 weeks for him to take lessons - because that's how most lessons are here in NWA.  I finally found a class at Walton Fitness Center. It actually is perfect because it just meets every Wednesday for 30 minutes throughout the whole summer and was only $31.  The class I looked into at Rogers was Mon-Thur for 2 weeks for $70.  Plus Max's class only has 3, 4, or 5 kids every week so he gets a lot of one on one time with the teacher.  He is showing so much improvement and we've only been going for 3 weeks.  Here are some pictures of his first lesson.  We get to sit up top and watch him swim.  This is his first time learning to swim no being in a mom and tot class (like last year).

Its been great because he is reminded every week over the summer how to swim and it's not crammed in a 2 week session where everyone gets worn out.  Also the last 2 wednesdays it has rained, and since it's inside we don't have to worry about it being canceled.  I think I'm going to sign him up again this fall, and even sign Alex up too.  After all....we're suppose to have a neighborhood pool soon and I'll feel better once these two are swimming like a fish :)










Alex enjoys watching his Bubba learn to swim (back in the bottle days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment