Monday, October 14, 2013

Looks like Max needs some glasses

As many of you know, Max qualified for speech.  In order to start his speech therapy, I had to get his vision and hearing tested.  Hearing was free, he passed - check.  Than it came time for vision.  I was a little frustrated because we don't have vision insurance and the people were making us get an eye exam for Max so it was an out of pocket expense.  I of course thought I was going to pay a few hundred dollars just to sit there, them tell me he sees fine, than head home. He is only 4 years old. Little did I know I was completely wrong.

We went to have his eyes checked and the test said he was pretty farsighted. He was a 3.  Farsighted means you can't see close.  I am nearsighted, which means I can't see far away very good, but I am only a -.75.  I'm not sure what Mike's numbers are, but I know he definately needs glasses all of the time or he can't see a thing. We couldn't believe Max's vision was so bad. After the initial tests came back, the doctor said he definately needed to dialate his eyes and get a better look.  I actually feel like a bad mom for never noticing anything, but they said at this age it's hard to tell.  The doctor told me he's probably been having a hard time focusing during reading or at school with his school work.  He said a lot of parents bring their children in and thing their kid has a form a ADHD.....than they get glasses.....and the kid is a completely different kid.  So we plan on getting Max glasses ASAP. Hopefully we can make a trip to Walmart this week and get them ordered.  I am so glad we found out this out before Kindergarten. I feel like now he will have a year to get used to them plus the obvious of seeing better and learning better and easier.  

Below are a few pictures from our eye appointment adventure.  I call it an adventure because Mike got stuck at work and it was just me and the boys.  You have to wait for the eyes to dialate 15 minutes, so at one point we three were stuck in a tiny room for 15 minutes waiting on the doctor. We barely made it, and I don't think we broke anything at all.









After the appointment Max decided to try on a few.  I think he is going to look so handsome.  Now we just have to go pick him out some!


No comments:

Post a Comment