Sunday, August 17, 2014

A good Memory of "Old Grandpa"

My neighbor and good friend of ours lost his Grandpa last night. Losing a grandparent is so difficult.  I feel bad him and his family that they have to go through this but I am hopeful that he will be reminded of some happy memories and comforted by his friends and family. It made me think about a few months ago when Mike lost his Grandpa, and years ago when I lost my Grandpa.

I lost my Grandpa in Summer of 2002, very unexpectedly due to fire accident in his backyard. He passed away a few weeks after the accident in the burn unit at Children's Hospital in Little Rock in July 2002, the summer after my freshmen year in College.  He was taken from us way too soon, but still, I have countless number of happy memories with him and I am thankful for that.  I miss him and think of him often.  In a below picture he is on the far left next to my brother and my dad on the couch

I met Mike in 2003.  I think...I went down to Delight for the first time in fall 2004, and that's when I got to meet Mike's Grandpa.  He was just the sweetest, kindest Grandpa.  He always asked how I was doing and would just sit and listen to whatever you had to say.  He had the best stories.  I loved to listen tell him tell a good story.  Below is a picture of me and the first of two blankets we made him.


Mike's Grandpa turned 96 in March.  He passed away June 7th of this year.  We sure miss him. We still talk about him all the time. We want to make sure the boys keep good happy memories of their "Old Grandpa"  For those of you who don't know, My dad is called Grandpa and Mike's Grandpa was always called Grandpa.  Since we had two Grandpa's the boys started calling Mike's Grandpa, Old Grandpa.  Not to emphaseze his age necessarily...just a cute nick name that Max came up with and it stuck with the boys good so we went with it.  
Anyways - This weekend I was looking through old pictures and remember I never shared all the pictures I took of Mike's Grandpa's 96th Birthday trip to Delight.  I wanted to do a blog so we can always look back at this happy Memory us and the boys share.

Most of the time we go to visit Delight, we stop and visit my Grandma aka Nana to the boys.  She lives in Russellville which is pretty much half way so it breaks up the trip and there is nothing I love better than a visit to my Grandma's. 

Max got to sleep in the living room this night on the couch

Alex "helping" Nana with the dishes

the boys love to look out Nana's windows for the birds.  My Grandma has 4-5 Bird feeders outside her windows int he kitchens.  She's quite popular with the birds on the neighborhood :)



Off to Delight we go - the boys fell asleep in the car on the way


I was in a running kick.  Ran 3.14 miles - a 5K - all the way to the Welcome to Delight sign and back.  I was pretty worn out by the time I got there so this was the best photo I got

went on a walk with MiMi and PawPaw




The boys are getting a little big for PawPaw's lap but still enjoy listening to him read bible stories



Alex helping with biscuits



The annual cousin photoshoot

The delicious cake - we celebrate John's Birthday too every year - Mike's cousin

Grandpa at the Birthday party

Loved this picture we got of the two of them with their cake


Lunch outside on the blanket


Uncle Randall telling a funny story to aunt Sally

Wouldn't be a proper Lamb family gathering if there wasn't some guitar and fiddle playing :)



The Lambs dancing to the music :)









 a ride on the bad boy with PawPaw




I love to see how good the cousins play together




Mike visiting with his Grandpa

sugars....
Getting cleaned up at MiMi's house


a good picture of Grandpa with the great grandkids I edited that night


a good picture of Grandpa Lamb and his kids

Alex and uncle Carval


Alex was so warn out from the day he fell asleep on PawPaw's lap!

I'm so thankful Grandpa Lamb came into my life.  I will have sweet memories of him, his stories, and his sugars forever :)




No comments:

Post a Comment