Monday, September 9, 2013

A Last Goodbye

 
 
 
 
 
Left to Right: My dad, his uncle Marvin, his wife "aunt Shar" and my Grandma

We had just finished celebrating my Grandma's 85th Birthday at the park. I walked into my Grandma's house thankful for the air conditioning.  It was getting late and we had a 2 hour drive ahead. We rushed to get our bags loaded in the car, use the restroom, get the kids ready, get snacks and drinks ready for the ride than said our good byes.  I hugged Uncle Mart first.  He was sitting by the table in the kitchen.  I said and it was good to see you, next time don't let it be so long. He laughed and said it was good to see me too. I hugged my aunt Shar and thanked her again for driving all the way down and than she gave me almond patties to take back home and I hugged her even harder again!  (For those of you that don't know what those are, I will have to tell you about them sometime but they are a homemade treat made in Iowa I have had since I was little). I than found my Grandma, gave her a hug, told her I wanted to come down in October on a day trip with the boys, she said that sounded great, and than I headed to the car.

The boys were in the car with my sister. The girls (nieces) were in the car waiting for my mom. Mike was in the truck waiting for my dad. With all three cars running and air conditioners on high, my mom takes out her iphone and asks for one more picture! They laughed, there is no telling my mom no, so they got close, smiled, and my mom took one last picture. I was parked right next to them, and as a joke, I hung my phone out the window and pretended to take pictures of them too. Uncle Mart laughed because he knew what I was doing, and waved good bye.

That would be the last time I got to hug my uncle Mart, the last time we would share a laugh, and the last time I would say good bye.

I pulled out of the driveway, drove all the way home to NWA, no stops. We got home, unpacked the car, and went to bed almost immediately around 9pm.

6:30am Monday morning, I heard my phone beep.  I had a text.  It was from my mom. It was sent to several people at once. It said my Uncle Marvin had a massive heart attack. The ambulance had been called, they were at St. Mary's Hospital in Russellville, but that it didn't look like he was going to make it.

7am Monday morning I received a text saying he did not survive, and that my uncle Marvin had passed away.

I couldn't believe it.  I read the text over and over thinking I must have read it wrong.  Than I got a call from my cousin Amanda asking me if I had heard the news making it feel more real. 

It was such a sad morning.

Two weeks ago Aunt Shar called me.  She said they were planning to make the trip.  I was so excited they were going to come.  She told me not to tell anyone, so I didn't. They wanted to drive 10 hours down and surprise my Grandma on her actual 85th Birthday. I have always loved my uncle Mart and Shar.  I have memories of when I was little and we would go visit them up in Iowa.  I have memories of the year we had a family reunion up in Iowa and they cooked us steaks at the park.  I remember looking forward to their visits either at my parents house in Sonora or back when my Grandparents had the farm or when they moved in town. I remember the last time they were down and we sat on the deck and visited at my parents house while the kids played in the backyard. I am thankful to have the most recent memory of my uncle Mart which was spending time and visiting with him this weekend.

I guess you just never know.  You hear that over and over through the years right? but than someone close to you passes away and it just means so much more.  I hugged my boys a little tighter tonight and I held Alex in my arms til he was sound asleep.  I took a walk tonight to get our neighbor's mail and found myself looking in the clouds thinking about Heaven and everyone I knew up there, especially my Grandpa who was just joined by his brother in law. 

Its so important take advantage of every day God gives to us.  Its so important to do the things to make us happy, to do the things you say your going to do, to take time to call the ones you love, to take the time to catch up with an old friend, to sit down and eat dinner with your family, to watch your kid play sports, to help out others when they need it, to not worry about the things that don't matter and start worrying about the things that do.

My last Good bye
Members of my family will be traveling from Arkansas to Iowa this week for visitation and funeral services.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Please keep my Grandma in your prayers as she lost her brother today, and my aunt Shar who lost her loving husband.



No comments:

Post a Comment