Monday, September 2, 2013

Getting Ready for Alex's Birthday

 
 
Alex's 2nd Birthday was Mickey Mouse clubhouse themed.  The problem with this is that there are so many ideas out there I had a hard time stopping :) I actually started making things for his Birthday a little early, like July. Since I stay at home with the boys, I needed something to keep me busy while the kids napped everyday, so his Birthday became my new project, and I had fun with it.  I started with his wreath. It's suppose to be a Mickey mouse with black ears, I know, a little girly but it turned out cute. I made the sign because I thought it needed a little more of a Birthday feel to it.
 

My sister had an old cork board she was going to through away - I said I could put that to use.  With a black piece of paper and a few letters from the Circuit machine, I made me a little sign. FYI the Mickey mouse cut outs are postcards.  My parents got them on clearance when they were in Disney World in June and picked some up for Alex's party.  They worked perfect.


Next up invitations.  I had seen a few cute ideas on Pinterest, so I can't take full credit, but I did come up with the below. I thought they turned out great, and I loved that I was able to send out hand made invites for his party.  We sent them out in early August so everyone could plan to make it for the big day.

The same day I was working on the invites I picked up a Mickey Mouse hat for Alex.  A lady was making them and selling them on facebook for $12.  I thought that was a great price.  Max has a spiderman for this winter and now Alex has a Mickey to wear.


All of the invites before I mailed them out.

At Rhea Lana's me and mom found Alex this adorable Mickey costume.  I couldn't resist.  I'm pretty sure this is what Alex will be for Halloween.  I planned on having him wear it for his party (just a few minutes for people to see) and completely forgot, oh well now it will be a fun surprise for Halloween.

This was the Mickey Mouse Birthday planning station in the office.  Mike was glad to have his space back this week.

I found these cups at Hobby Lobby when summer went 90% off!  I bought as many as I could find hoping I had enough for all of the kids, we had plenty, I was glad.  We even have them left over for some of the kids that couldn't make the party. We'll try to get those to them sometime this week.

Next up, the choochoo express.  Ok, so I had seen on pinterest this neat idea of making a choo choo train out of boxes.  I really wanted to make one for the boys and thought it would go along with the party as the choo choo express that Mickey Mouse drives. My parents had a ton of left over boxes from their remodel so everything was free.  The only thing I had to buy was the spraypaint and I found the $1 kind from Walmart worked fine.  The kids loved helping me with this project.  We worked in the garage so it was a fun way to spend time outside on hot days.



I found the party favor bags, all of the fillers, and Mickey mouse table clothes at the Associate store for half price!!  I was super excited.  We weren't going to have favors to save on costs and just let the kids take the cups home, but than I found these so I was excited to make bags for the kids.

Here are a few projects of the train as it got more completed.

The one below you could crawl all the way through, the kids loved that, it was like a tunnel.

I wrote everyone's names on the cups so the kids could keep up with the drinks ta the party, and everyone could take theirs home.  The Mickey mouse ears were way too complicated so we ended up just putting some Mickey mouse stickers on them.

The boys loved the train once I finished.  Below are some pictures.  They played in it every day for weeks.


I found some Mickey mouse ears and a cute HUGE backdrop for the photobooth at Party City.

Alex wanted to hang up the back drop as soon as we got home.  Grandma and Alex tested it out.



Alex wants to wear his costume a lot.

Aunt Kelley came over to help us work on a centerpiece!  We used a bucket we already had (Max's Easter pale from 2 years ago) and the Mickey postcards from mom and dad, and than a few things Kelley had that she just put together and made.  It turned out so cute.



The week of the party I started set up.  I would work while the kids were playing or sleeping so that I didn't have stress about getting things together or taking time away from Mike when he got home.


I loved how the Birthday banner turned out.  I made this with the circuit Machine from my mom.

The dessert table was starting to come together.  I was going to make cupcakes.


I'm a planner....I always set out the plates and label them so the day of the party runs smoothly.

We had tons of leftover boxes from the train so we made box forts.

Aunt Kelley found a Mickey Mouse water sprinkler at Walgreens half off!  We were testing it out, works great and the kids love it.  We played with this at the party, but we will get lots of use out of it a few more times this year and hopefully next summer too.

 
Look at the Hershey kisses!  My mom made the stickers.
 


Found his major gift at Rhea Lana's this year, a "New" Big Kitchen!  He loves it.  It's so fancy compared to his old one.

I made oreo Mickey's, that if I do say so myself were delicious.  They weren't all perfect looking but they did all taste delicious.  Below I took a few pictures along the way so you can see how I made them.  The heads are of course oreos, the ears are Candy melts from Walmart.






His two big gifts (both from Rhea Lana's) a ballapalooza (no I didn't make that up) and a new kitchen.


Can't forget the homemade Mickey oreo cupcakes


A Big Mickey Balloon from Party City.

A frame I found in a dumpster (true story) and painted black.

Mickey hat ears sat out and waiting for the kids


Cupcakes in the cupcake holders

I found this cute little way to display the oreos for just $3.50 at walmart.  It stayed clean so I can even use it again someday.


Alex's special cupcake.

The flowers didn't really hang in there for the party, well some of them did.  They don't get rain naturally because of the porch so I have to remember to water them hence the reason most of them died SO short story long....I stuck some Mickey's in the planters to pep up the front entry.


A few balloons my sister found in Walmart Clearance section added a few extra decorations.  Whats a party without balloons right?


I even decorated the bathrooms.  A stuffed Mickey and yes Mickey soap.  I had the soap overnighted for the party.  JUST KIDDING.....My parents went to Florida in June and it was free in their hotel so they kept it for Alex.  Thought it would be perfect for the party.


 
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment