Saturday, April 6, 2013

Aunt Margie





I've been close to my aunt Margie since birth.  Here I am with my aunt Margie at my first Christmas 30 years ago. This is my mom's sister.  I have many memories of my aunt Margie...just to name a few

-Going to her house on Thanksgiving and Christmas after we visited my dad's side of the family at the farm.
-Eating my aunt Margie's homemade fudge (never tasted better)
- Eating her homemade sugar cookies she would always make with Amanda before we came.
-Playing games with my cousin Amanda in the back of her house while the grown ups chatted.
sitting in the back of her car as she took me garage sale shopping.  I remember I would always have my (little bit of) money with me always excited about what we were going to buy.
- The stick of special sausage she would always have for me on special occasions and normally send it home with me.  This tradition lasted even through the married years.
- Her canned vegetables from her garden (she would always send so many back home with us to NWA)
-a cold rootbeer in a frosted mug
- Meeting aunt Margie to eat - McDonalds, subway, IHop

She had the best kindest personality, and always made me laugh.  I loved how she made me laugh. She was beyond generous and graciously gave other people even things she couldn't afford to give, just because she was that caring and thoughtful of a person. I have a specific memory where I hugged her and said goodbye after we had gone out to eat.  She tried to stick a $20 in my pocket.  When I realized what she was doing I said NO!  I tried to put it back in her pocket but she literally shoved me in the car and closed my door....she would not take no for an answer. She would always send me Birthday cards, congrats cards, just because cards, etc. and I would do the same to her.  The last thing I sent her was a Thank you for Max's birthday present.  She got him a remote control car.  I actually haven't even let him open it yet because it is still in the box up on the top shelf of the toyroom and it reminds me of her. Below is a card I found that sent me on my Highschool graduation. I loved that I kept it and was able to find it and read it again 11 years after she gave it to me.  It means so much more to me now that it did on that day.  She always supported us kids (me, my brother, and sister) and treated the "in laws"  (Mike and Jennie) like they were her own too.  If you never got the chance to meet her, you sure missed out.




After she passed away, before we traveled down for her funeral I took some time and looked at some old pictures of her.  I found the below one of her and my uncle Don.  This was taken the year they got married.  I believe they were married 38 years.


Here is a picture of my aunt phyllis, aunt margie, me and my mom.  We are at the Humphrey's house in Russellville for my wedding shower 7 years ago.  We talked about this day at the visitation.  She looked forward to coming and I was so thankful she did.

Here is a picture of us on Christmas.  She actually came up to Spring dale this Christmas.  We are with my aunt Phyllis again too. This must have been before Mike so freshman or sophomore year in college because I notice I have a KD shirt on.

Here is a picture of Mike and Pam shaw with my Aunt Margie, Aunt Phyllis, and Mike and Pam's daughter Brittany on my wedding day at the reception.  Deb drove Margie up.  I am so thankful she did that and able to make it on my special day.


 One thing I will remember most about my aunt Margie is that she was a breast cancer survivor. She battled breast cancer a few years ago and it was tough for us all.  My mom helped her a lot and drove her to her chemotherapy, sat there with her for her treatment, and drove her back home (remember Margie lived in Dardenelle and my mom lives in Springdale)  Both my mom and Aunt Phyllis supported her during her fight.  I will always think of my aunt Margie anytime anyone mentions breast cancer.  It takes a strong person to fight breast cancer. Below are some pictures of us the first time the family came together and walked for Margie in our local Race for the Cure.  This was in 2009. Our family has always walked in Race for the Cure since I was in 8th or 9th grade.  It is a great cause in the community to help support because even if you don't know anyone now who is fighting braest cancer....someday you might.








My aunt Margie will be greatly missed by many. She left behind sisters, nieces, nephews, granddaughters, cousins, friends and family. We will think of her often and remember her and all the memories we were blessed to share with her.  I want to leave you with the verse my dad read at her funeral.  It was on a bracelet given to her by Mike Shaw that she wore until she took her last breath.....and she gave it back to my dad to give back to Mike Shaw to share with some else someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment