Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ashley & Jennie's girls night out


A few weeks ago me and Jennie had a night out. Jennie invited me to a Pay it Forward Dinner at the local Church of the Nazarene.  I honestly wasn't sure what it was all about, but I seldom get to go out with just Jennie so Mike said he'd watch the kids, I got dressed up, and met Jennie.

First off, let me say, the dinner was delicious.  I had brisket, potato, corn, fruit, and tea.  I enjoyed getting to visit with about 4-6 other people at our table that also know Jennie.  There were over 300 women present at the dinner.  There were also about 20 men dressed in Santa hats who helped out and served dinner and were there as Hosts.  The dinner was so much more than I thought it was going to be. They shared stories from last year's dinner.  They also recognized women in the church that had been great examples of Christian women in the community and who give their time to help and serve others.  I enjoyed getting to hear all of the different stories.  The best part was that they were all present at the dinner, and didn't know they were about to get recognized, their name would just get called and they would go up to the stage, and get a story told about them.  There were some women that got recognized and got a manicure and pedicure that was donated.  There were also several more touching stories.  There was a story of a single mother of 3 children who just lost her husband.  She worked 3 jobs to keep her family going. They surprised her with all sorts of gift cards and toys for her family this Christmas.  There was also a story about a family who has a son battling leukemia and has had to miss school since last August.  They got him a basketball signed by his favorite basketball team and a gift card to Sams. It was a dinner about learning to pay it forward.

The most exciting part of the night, was that every person was given a gift - our table actually got 2 gifts because we drawn twice.  I got to take home gift 1 - a pillow and a blanket, and gift two - a warm little girls winter pack with a brand new purple jacket with a fur hood, socks, and thermal underwear.  The purpose of the gift was for you to take them home and give them to someone who needed them - to pay them forward. I have given away the winter pack, but the pillow and blanket are still in the back of my car - hopefully I will find someone that needs them soon.  Below is the story of how we gave away the "girls winter pack"

A few weeks ago, on a Tuesday morning, I took Max to speech and me and Alex sat in the lobby and waited. I noticed a mom came out of the library, and had two Walmart sacks in her hands, held them up in the air, and looked around and said, Thank you.  Thank you for blessing me this Christmas.  The two receptionists said, your welcome, Merry Christmas. the lady than said, no...really...Thank you. You don't know how much you have helped me this Christmas, my kids are going to be so happy and I couldn't have done it without you.  It was touching for me and Alex to get to witness the conversation.  Made me very Thankful for everything I had under the tree wrapped for my boys this Christmas.  I than remembered that I had the little girls jacket, socks, and thermal underwear in my car.  I walked up to receptionist and asked about what they were doing.  She explained that parents in need this Christmas got to "shop for free" in the Library today so that their kids could have a better Christmas. At first, I think she thought I needed to shop.  I smiled at her and said I had something I wanted to give her, and that I'd be right back. She looked a little surprised. I went to the car and got the "winter pack" and walked back in.  I gave her the coat, socks, and thermal underwear.  The 4 women behind the counter had big smiles on their faces.  They said your giving this to us?  I explained to them that I had went to the dinner, and that I had it in my car, and wanted to give it to someone in need this Christmas.  They were so thankful.  They had smiles on their faces, and said.....Bless you, you will make some little girl very happy and warm this Christmas.  Merry Christmas you to and your family.

It was a great experience for me to be able to give something to someone in need, that had actually been given to me.  I was excited and happy.  The dinner is such a great idea for this community. That night over 300 people got gifts to pay it forward.  Think of all the people that week, or the following week benefited from that dinner.  Think of all the stories.  Also, think of all of the people like me, it helped this Christmas. A small reminder of how lucky I am to have what I have, and how much everyday we need to be watching and looking for people that need our help.

Happy New Year
I hope you find a way to pay it forward in 2014.



1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I went to one of those dinners with Jen one year and did the same type of thing. I got a big gift pack of little boy things. I ended up calling the Richardson Center and they had a set of twin boys that needed the things. I bought a few toys and wrapped it all. Then dropped it all off. That Christmas was a special one for me. I loved the whole idea behind it all. I'm glad you got to experience it too. Carrie

    ReplyDelete